Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Week of 11-18-08


On Tuesday, the whole class participated in performance art.  There was a lot of great, entertaining performances. 
Mine was reminiscent of Gilbert and George's performances.  I played "Prayer of the Refugee" by Rise Against on my Zune player while pretending to play the guitar hero rifts.  The point of my performance was that in this new technology driven age that we live in, someone can play/create music without necessarily being musically talented or know how to play a real instrument.  I tried to get into it as much as possible, though I was a little nervous.  At some points I tried to activate star power but to no avail.

On thursday, we explored video art.  I'll be honest, I'm a sucker for special effects.  So the films using green screens or video manipulation were the ones that stimulated me the most.  I can't wait to use a green screen on future projects.  The videos we watched gave me some ideas about what to do with my video art project, which I've already started on.
The only video art film that we watched that I despised was the one where the actor kept repeating the same lines over and over as the quality was reduced each time.  I understand the point that the artist was trying to make, however the video wasn't entertaining enough to justify the length of his film.  I believe entertainment should be a big part of art because if you entertain the audience while trying to explore a controversial/next-level concept, the audience will be more likely to listen.  And even if the audience didn't agree with or understand your idea, at least the artist still made an entertaining project.

6 comments:

ckumka said...

You had great intensity throughout your performance piece. I also thought your explanation at the beginning was good because it was needed. Nice job!

Victor Valery said...

I enjoyed your presentation, it was fun to watch, and cool song too.

John Dolan said...

you really did get into it, and it seemed like you really knew the buttons to press at the right moments. Real cool.

Ciara Ross said...

i really liked your performance and thought it was a really good concept. i liked that you tried to do star power too haha!

Matt N. said...

A lot of kids can definitely relate to this "guitar hero" experience, including myself

berni M said...

Loved this idea! I'm a huge fan of guitar hero and how you rocked out to your own music was simply great! awesome job